ERTH, ST., a parish, in the union of Penzance, E. division of the hundred of Penwith, W. division of Cornwall, 4 miles (N. E. by N.) from Marazion; containing 2452 inhabitants. The parish includes part of the town of Hayle, and is situated on the river Hayle, over which is a bridge near the church. It comprises 4092 acres, of which 1454 are common land or waste; the surface is undulated, and mines of copper and tin are worked, for the latter of which there are three smeltinghouses. The village of Churchtown is extensive and well inhabited. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £14. 1. 0½., and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, the impropriators, whose tithes have been commuted for £402, and those of the vicar for £280; there is a glebe of 106 acres. The church, a neat edifice, containing nearly 600 sittings, is situated on the bank of the river, near the bridge. There are places of worship for Calvinists and Wesleyans. In the churchyard, and in the village, are the remains of ancient crosses; and near the vicarage-house is a double circular intrenchment, called Carhangives, supposed to have been the site of a baronial castle.