ERRINGDEN, a chapelry, or chapelry district, in the parish of Halifax, union of Todmorden, wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 7 miles (W.) from Halifax; containing 2221 inhabitants. This chapelry, anciently Heyrikdene, is encircled by a singular strip of land called the Ramble, and situated on the south side of the river Calder; it is a mountainous district, comprising 2980 acres, and chiefly inhabited by persons employed in the numerous mills in the immediate vicinity. The scenery is of bold and romantic character. Part of the villages of Hebden-Bridge and Mytholmroyd are in the township. The chapel of St. John in the Wilderness, which had become dangerous from dilapidation, was taken down in 1838; and a handsome structure has been erected on land given by the late Major Priestly, at an expense of £2130, of which £700 were granted by the Parliamentary Commissioners, £400 by the Incorporated Society, and the remainder raised by subscription; it contains 800 sittings. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Halifax, with a net income of £100, and a good house, built in 1815. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Below the Cragg is a spring, which is in great estimation.