Erpingham (St. Mary)
ERPINGHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Aylsham, hundred of South Erpingham, N. division of Norfolk, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Aylsham; containing 475 inhabitants. It is on the road from Aylsham to Cromer, and bounded on the west by a branch of the river Bure; and comprises 1385a. 3r. 13p., of which 1180 acres are arable, 130 pasture, and 10 woodland: from the elevated grounds the views are very pleasing, embracing the town of Aylsham, and the woods of Blickling. The living is a discharged rectory, annexed to that of Blickling, and valued in the king's books at £9. 18. 9.: the tithes have been commuted for £475, and the glebe consists of 15½ acres. The church, which is in the decorated and later English styles, with a lofty embattled tower, was repaired in 1841; in the south aisle is a brass effigy of a knight in armour, to the memory of Sir John de Erpingham, a great contributor towards the erection of the church. There is a place of worship in the parish for a congregation of Wesleyan Methodists.