Ermington (St. Peter)
ERMINGTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Plympton St. Mary, hundred of Ermington, Ermington and Plympton, and S. divisions of Devon, 2 miles (W. N. W.) from Modbury; containing 1607 inhabitants. The parish consists of 4132a. 3r. 8p., of which 2332 acres are arable, 1531 pasture, and 269 woodland; it is pleasantly situated, and comprises the village of Ermebridge, on the new road from Exeter to Plymouth, and a great portion of the village of Ivy-Bridge. A commodious hotel has been erected, and a post-office for the surrounding district has been established at Ermebridge. A market was formerly held, which has been long discontinued; there are still fairs for cattle on the 2nd of February and 24th of June. The living comprises a vicarage and a sinecure rectory, with the chapelry of Kingston annexed: the vicarage is valued in the king's books at £33. 11. 3., and is in the alternate patronage of the Crown, and J. B. Cholwich, Esq.; the rectory is valued at £24, and is in the gift of Mr. Cholwich, who is impropriator of one moiety, the other belonging to J. C. Bulteel, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £270, and the vicarial for £308. The church contains a curious Norman font, and a monument to the Strechley family, whose ancient seat is now the property of Mr. Bulteel. In 1513, an almshouse and a charity school were endowed with lands by Alice Hatch.