ERDINGTON, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Aston, Birmingham division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick, 4 miles (E.) from Birmingham; containing 2579 inhabitants. The manor originally belonged to the earls of Mercia, and was given at the time of the Conquest to William Fitz-Ausculf, from whose descendants it passed in the reign of John to Thomas de Erdington, that monarch's ambassador to the court of Spain, by whose family the ancient manor-house, now Erdington Hall, was built. The village is pleasantly situated on the road from Birmingham to Lichfield; in the neighbourhood are several villas, and on the road to Witton are some detached modern houses, called Erdington-Slade. The scenery is diversified by the small river Tame, whose course appears to have been diverted in order to turn a mill, built in the hamlet prior to the Conquest, and of which the site is occupied by Bromford Forge. The Tame-Valley canal, a noble work, ten miles in length, lately completed under the direction of Messrs. Walker and Burgess, the eminent engineers, at a cost of £200,000, joins the Birmingham canal at Erdington, and runs through Perry-Barr, West Bromwich, and Tipton. Birches Green, in the chapelry, lies on the road from the village to Curdworth, a short distance eastward of the former. The living is a perpetual curacy, with an income arising from pew-rents; patron, the Vicar of Aston. The church, a handsome edifice dedicated to St. Barnabas, in the decorated style, with a tower and pinnacles, was erected in 1823, at an expense of £5657, defrayed by the Parliamentary Commissioners and the inhabitants. There are national, infant, and Sunday schools attached to the church; and the Independents and Roman Catholics have each a place of worship. See Oscott.