Epperston (Holy Cross)
EPPERSTON (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union of Southwell, S. division of the wapentake of Thurgarton and of the county of Nottingham, 10 miles (N. N. E.) from Nottingham; containing 518 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2300 acres, of which two-thirds are arable, 250 acres wood, and the remainder pasture: a small stream, called the Dover beck, bounds it on the south. Stocking-weaving is carried on. The village, which lies in the vale of the rivulet, is pleasant and well built. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 1. 8., and in the gift of the Trustees of William Hulme, for scholarships in Brasenose College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for 221 acres of glebe, valued at £189, and a rent-charge of £20. 6. 6. for the woodland. The church is an ancient structure, with a tower surmounted by a handsome spire. There are a place of worship for Wesleyans, and a school in union with the National Society. A library was founded in 1839, by John Litchfield, Esq., who more recently built a neat edifice for its reception; it consists of upwards of 2000 volumes on philosophical and miscellaneous subjects.