Endellion (St. Endelian)
ENDELLION (St. Endelian), a parish, in the union of Bodmin, hundred of Trigg, E. division of Cornwall, 8 miles (W. S. W.) from Camelford; containing 1154 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the coast, about midway between Tintagel Head and Padstow Point, and comprises by measurement 3777 acres, nearly all arable: slate is shipped hence to various parts. A fair, of recent origin, is held in the Church Town on the first Tuesday after Sept. 7th. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10, and in the gift of the Lord Chancellor: the tithes have been commuted for £225, and the glebe comprises 20 acres. The church is a capacious edifice in the later English style, erected about 300 years ago, having a lofty tower visible as a landmark at a great distance; it is collegiate, containing three prebends which are sinecures, exclusively of the rectory. The King's, or Bodmin, prebend is in the patronage of John Bassett, Esq., and the tithes have been commuted for £131; that of Heredum-Marney is in the patronage of the Hon. Mrs. Agar, and the tithes have been commuted for £134; that of Trehaverock is in the patronage of Richardson Gray, Esq., and the tithes have been commuted for £130: the glebes comprise respectively 12, 15, and 15 acres. The Wesleyans and Bryanites have places of worship. According to tradition, there was a religious house belonging to the Grey friars, in the vale of St. Tillick. On the estate of Roscarrock are two barrows.