Emley, or Elmley (St. Michael)
EMLEY, or Elmley (St. Michael), a parish, in the Upper and Lower divisions of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 8 miles (S. W.) from Wakefield; containing, with part of the township of CumberworthHalf, 2568 inhabitants, of whom 1575 are in Emley township. This place belonged to the family of Heton, whose estates passed to the Saviles, and whose ancient mansion of timber frame-work, surrounded by a moat, stood in an extensive park, more than two miles in length, but which has been long divided into farms. The parish comprises 3120 acres of land, all under cultivation, and contains an abundance of excellent coal, and stone suitable for building: the village is pleasantly situated on the declivity of a hill, and a considerable number of its inhabitants are employed in weaving, and as wheelwrights and carpenters. Fairs for cattle are held on Lady-day and Michaelmas-day. The living is a rectory, rated in the king's books at £14. 0. 7½., and in the patronage of the Earl of Scarborough, lord of the manor; net income, £422: the tithes of the park lands have been commuted for a modus, and part of the estate of T. W. Beaumont, Esq., formerly abbey land, is tithefree. The church is a neat structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists.