EMBSAY, with Eastby, a township, in the parish and union of Skipton, E. division of the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York, 2 miles (N. E. by N.) from Skipton; containing 962 inhabitants. This place was distinguished for its priory, founded in 1120, for Augustine canons, by William de Meschines and his wife Cecilia de Romili, and which, after flourishing for about thirty years, was removed by their daughter Adeliza to Bolton: a chapel was continued long after its removal. The township is situated in a hilly district, and comprises 4000 acres, of which about two-thirds are inclosed: the population is partly employed in cotton and worsted mills. The village of Eastby is to the north-east of Embsay, and both lie north of the road from Skipton to Ripley. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. A spring in the township bears the name of St. Cuthbert's Well.