Emberton (All Saints)
EMBERTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Newport-Pagnell, hundred of Newport, county of Buckingham, 1½ mile (S.) from Olney; containing, with the merged parish of Okeney cum Petsoe, 658 inhabitants. The parish is situated within a mile of the river Ouse, and intersected by the road from London to Wellingborough; and comprises by measurement 1700 acres. The females are nearly all employed in making pillow-lace. Stone of good quality for building is found in abundance, and, at a greater depth, some excellent freestone. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18. 0. 5.; net income, £453; patron and incumbent, the Rev. Thomas Fry. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1798; the land comprises 280 acres. The church is an ancient structure in the decorated English style, with an embattled tower: the east window is a rich specimen of elegant tracery, and over the entrance doorway is a window of corresponding design; the side windows of the chancel have some good specimens of stained glass. Schools are supported by subscription; and a charity founded by the Bakewell family, produces £20 per annum. Sir Everard Digby, concerned in the Gunpowder Plot, is supposed to have been interred here.