Elworthy (St. Martin)
ELWORTHY (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Williton, hundred of Williton and Freemanners, W. division of Somerset, 5¼ miles (N.) from Wiveliscombe; containing 210 inhabitants. It is beautifully situated within five miles of the Bristol Channel, and comprises by computation nearly 1600 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 6. 8., and in the patronage of John Kendrick, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £230, and the glebe comprises 66 acres. The church is a neat structure. About a mile hence are the Elworthy Burroughs, a British encampment on the summit of Brendon Hill; and there are several tumuli near the site.