ELTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Youlgrave, union of Bakewell, hundred of Wirksworth, S. division of the county of Derby, 1¼ mile (W.) from Winster; containing 536 inhabitants. The manor was held by the Bardolfs, as lords paramount, by the rendering of a pair of gilt spurs. It passed from them to the Tibetots, and afterwards to the Stevensons, from one of whose coheiresses a moiety came to Hylton Joliffe, Esq.; the other coheiress sold her moiety to William Brittlebank, Esq. The township comprises 1408 acres of land: the village is on the summit of a bleak eminence. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £98, partly arising from £200 benefactions, £200 Queen Anne's Bounty, and £200 parliamentary grant; patrons, the resident Freeholders: a parsonage-house, a neat stone building, was erected in 1838. The tithes were commuted for land, under inclosure acts, in 1763 and 1809. The chapel is dedicated to All Saints, and, with its square tower, can be seen at a great distance.