Elsworth (Holy Trinity)
ELSWORTH (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Caxton and Arrington, hundred of Papworth, county of Cambridge, 4½ miles (N. N. E.) from Caxton; containing 915 inhabitants, and comprising 3755a. 2r. 25p. A pleasure-fair is held throughout the whole of the week following Trinity-Sunday. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 6. 0½.; net income, £480; patron, the Duke of Portland. The tithes have been commuted for land. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a lofty embattled tower crowned by pinnacles; and though much defaced by injudicious alterations, displays numerous elegant details. Samuel Franklin, Esq., in 1695, bequeathed 12½ acres of land, now let for £2. 10. per acre, for the endowment of almshouses for three widows.