Elston (All Saints)
ELSTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Southwell, S. division of the wapentake of Newark and of the county of Nottingham, 5½ miles (S. W. by S.) from Newark; containing 259 inhabitants. The parish comprises by admeasurement 1492 acres: the river Trent is within a mile and a half, and on its bank is a wharf. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 8. 9.; net income, £299; patron, R. A. Darwin, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land in 1795; the glebe altogether comprises 172 acres. The church was almost entirely rebuilt by the late patron, W. B. Darwin, Esq., at an expense of £2000; the interior is fitted up with open stalls, and contains several monuments to the Darwin family, and many ancient details. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists; and a school, erected in 1812, endowed with land. An almshouse for four widows was built in 1744, in pursuance of the will of Anne Darwin in 1722. Dr. Erasmus Darwin, author of the Zoonomia, was born here.