ELSING, a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Eynsford, E. division of Norfolk, 5 miles (N. E. by E.) from East Dereham; containing 457 inhabitants. The parish is finely situated in the vale of the Wensum, and bounded by the river on the north-west; and comprises 1535a. 2r. 32p., of which 1184 acres are arable, 235 meadow and pasture, and 91 common: the scenery is pleasing. The village is built, in irregular detached portions, along the southern acclivities of the vale. An act for the inclosure of lands was passed in 1841. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 11. 8., and in the patronage of Mrs. Frances Browne; the tithes have been commuted for £330, and the glebe comprises 16 acres, with a house. The church, situated on an eminence, is an ancient structure, chiefly in the decorated style, with a square embattled tower: in the east window are full-length portraits, in stained glass, of Hugh de Hastings and his wife, the supposed founders; and on the floor of the chancel is a fine brass to Sir Hugh de Hastings, who died in 1347. There are about 14 acres of church land.