Elsenham (St. Mary)
ELSENHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bishop-Stortford, hundred of Uttlesford, N. division of Essex, 5 miles (N. E.) from Bishop-Stortford; containing 491 inhabitants. This parish is separated from that of Stansted-Mountfitchet by a small rivulet, and comprises 1825a. 2r. 8p., of which 1269 acres are arable, 320 meadow, and 105 woodland. Here is a station of the railway from London to Cambridge, situated about midway between the stations at Newport and Bishop-Stortford. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £11. 10.; patron, incumbent, and impropriator, the Rev. Thomas Canning; the great tithes have been commuted for £438, and the vicarial for £164; the impropriate glebe comprises 10 acres, and the vicarial 31 acres. The church is an ancient structure, with a square embattled tower surmounted by a slender spire, and contains many interesting details of early Norman architecture.