Elmsted (St. James)
ELMSTED (St. James), a parish, in the union of Elham, hundred of Stouting, lathe of Shepway, E. division of Kent, 10 miles (S. by W.) from Canterbury; containing 505 inhabitants. It comprises 2683a. 2r. 33p., of which 1247 acres are arable, 979 meadow and pasture, 51 in hop plantations, 295 wood, and the remainder common. A fair is held on July 25th. The living is a discharged vicarage, united to the rectory of Hastingleigh, and valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4.