Elmley, Isle of (St. James)
ELMLEY, ISLE of (St. James), a parish, in the union of Sheppy, liberty of the Isle of Sheppy, Upper division of the lathe of Scray, E. division of Kent, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from Sittingbourne; containing 42 inhabitants. This place, still called an island, was formerly surrounded by the river Swale, but is now connected by a narrow neck of land with the Isle of Sheppy; it is in length about three miles, and in breadth two, a small tract on the northern side being within the bounds of the parish of East Church. There is a ferry across the Swale to Milton. The parish comprises 1572 acres of rich land, affording herbage for numerous flocks of sheep; also 189 acres of marsh land. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £5; net income, £340; patrons, the Warden and Fellows of All Souls' College, Oxford. The church, which was dilapidated, and only used on the induction of a new rector, has lately been repaired, and divine service is now performed in it.