Elmham, South, St. Cross (St. George)
ELMHAM, SOUTH, ST. CROSS (St. George), a parish, in the union and hundred of Wangford, E. division of Suffolk, 4 miles (E. by N.) from Harleston; containing 258 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1043 acres, of which 100 are common land or waste. The living is a discharged rectory, annexed to the rectory of Homersfield, and valued in the king's books at £10: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £23. 6. 8., and the rectorial for £191. 13. 4.; the glebe comprises 25 acres. The church was repaired in 1840, and is in the decorated and later English styles, with a square embattled tower; the altar-piece is a good painting of the Raising of Lazarus from the Dead: at the south entrance is an enriched Norman arch. Near St. Margaret's Hall are the remains of a religious house, surrounded with a moat.