Elmdon (St. Peter)
ELMDON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Solihull, Solihull division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick, 7 miles (S. E.) from Birmingham; containing 167 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 1100 acres, of which two-thirds are arable, 20 acres woodland, and the remainder good meadow and pasture; the surface is varied, and the soil generally fertile. Elmdon Hall, erected in 1795 by Isaac Spooner, Esq., and beautifully situated, is now the mansion of W. C. Alston, Esq., who purchased the property in the year 1840. The Birmingham and Warwick canal, which communicates with the Grand Junction canal, skirts the parish; and the Hampton station of the London and Birmingham railway is about 2½ miles distant. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £3. 8. 1½., and in the gift of Isaac William Spooner Lillingston, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £230, and the glebe comprises 18 acres of land. The church was erected in the year 1780, at the expense of Abraham Spooner, Esq., at a cost of £2000, and is a handsome structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower: the east window is embellished with a representation of the Lord's Supper; and figures of Faith, Hope, and Charity, in stained glass, of ancient date; and the church contains monuments to the Spooner family for three generations, and one to Jane, Countess Dowager of Rosse, who died here in 1838. The parsonage-house was built in 1803.