Elm (All Saints)
ELM (All Saints), a parish, in the union and hundred of Wisbech, Isle of Ely, county of Cambridge, 2 miles (S. S. E.) from Wisbech; containing 1742 inhabitants. The parish comprises 11,162a. 2r. 13p., of which 6522 acres are arable, 4615 pasture, and 25 plantations. The living is a sinecure rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 10., and now held by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; and a vicarage, with that of Emneth annexed, valued at £14. 15. 10.; patron, the Bishop of Ely. The rectorial tithes have been commuted for £1644. 15., and the vicarial for £638; the rectorial glebe comprises 18 acres, and the vicarial 2 acres. The church is chiefly in the later English style, and consists of a nave, chancel, and aisles, with a tower surmounted by a small spire. Thomas Squire, in 1689, left a schoolroom, with a house and lands now producing about £50 a year; and the proceeds of about 34 acres bequeathed by different individuals, are distributed among the poor, who also receive in coal the sum of about £60 per annum, derived from land allotted in 1630. A tessellated pavement was discovered near the site of the old mansion of Needham Hall, which was taken down in 1804; and numerous Roman coins have been found.