Elloughton (St. Mary)
ELLOUGHTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Beverley, Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 2½ miles (S. E. by S.) from South Cave; containing, with the hamlet of Brough and township of Wauldby, 712 inhabitants. The parish comprises, exclusively of Wauldby, 1534a. 2r. 17p., and including that township 2312a. 35p.; of the former number 1161 acres are arable, 330 pasture, and 42 woodland. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 0. 5., and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York, with a net income of £114: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1794. The church is a very ancient structure; the greater portion of it fell down in the early part of the year 1843, but it has been since restored: it is in the early English style. There are places of worship for congregations of Calvinists and Wesleyans.