Ellisfield (St. Martin)
ELLISFIELD (St. Martin), a parish, in the union of Basingstoke, hundred of Bermondspit, Basingstoke and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 4 miles (S.) from Basingstoke; containing 246 inhabitants. This place is supposed to have derived its name, a corruption of Ella's Field, from its having been the seat of war during the heptarchy; and various intrenchments remain, one of which, occupying an area of three acres, and deeply moated, is thought to have been the site of a castle belonging to the Saxon king, Ella. The parish comprises 2254 acres, of which 1447 are arable, 83 meadow, 583 woodland, and 140 common; the soil is generally clayey, and the surface varied with hills of moderate elevation. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 3. 6½., and in the gift of W. Pigott, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £402, and the glebe consists of 18 acres, with a house, built in 1839. There were two churches, one dedicated to St. Martin, and the other to All Saints, till the reign of Edward III., when the latter was taken down.