Ellingham, Great (St. James)
ELLINGHAM, GREAT (St. James), a parish, in the union of Wayland, hundred of Shropham, W. division of Norfolk, 2 miles (N. W. by W.) from Attleburgh; containing 838 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2670a. 1r. 35p., of which 2135 acres are arable, and 477 pasture, meadow, and woodland. Ellingham Hall, an ancient mansion surrounded with a moat, is now a farmhouse. The village is irregularly built, and consists chiefly of scattered houses. The living is a discharged vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Little Ellingham, and valued in the king's books at £6. 5. 10.: the rector of Little Ellingham, the vicar of Carbrook, and others, are the impropriators; there is a glebe of about four acres. The church is a spacious structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower surmounted by a spire; the nave is lighted by clerestory windows, and in the chancel is a neat monument to the Colman family. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. At the inclosure, in 1799, an allotment of 53 acres was awarded to the poor.