ELLESMERE-PORT, a small town or port, in the township of Whitby, parish of Eastham, union, and Higher division of the hundred, of Wirrall, S. division of Cheshire, about 6 miles (N.) from Chester. This place owes its origin to the formation of a canal from Chester to the river Mersey here; though for some years after the opening of the navigation, the progress of the port was slow. At present, there are about 200 houses, many of them of neat aspect; a fine range of warehouses, erected on arches, with branches of the canal passing below; and a splendid floating-dock, containing upwards of 60,000 yards of water-space. A large dock, also, for coasters, was opened in September 1843; and other works have been formed, connected with boats and shipping. The canal itself was commenced towards the close of the last century; it was lately much improved from designs by Mr. William Cubitt, who also planned the recent dock improvements, and in 1843 the whole line, with the docks, quays, and warehouses, was leased by the proprietors to the Earl of Ellesmere. A neat church of stone has been just erected, by the contributions of the Grosvenor family, the Rev. Henry Raikes, and others; and schools, with a dwelling-house for the teachers, have been also opened.