Ellerton-Priory (St. Mary)
ELLERTON-PRIORY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Howden, Holme-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 9 miles (N. N. W.) from Howden; containing 320 inhabitants. The scattered village of Ellerton lies on the east side of the vale of Derwent. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £110; late patron and impropriator, Sir C. B. Codrington. The church, which is in a dilapidated state, is part of the nave of the ancient structure, which joined a priory built by William Fitz-Piers, before 1212, for canons of the Semperingham order: this institution maintained 13 poor persons, and at the Dissolution its revenue was valued at £78. 0. 10. There are almshouses for 6 persons, founded by Sir Hugh Bethell, in 1610; also a place of worship for Wesleyans.