Ellerburn (St. Hilda)
ELLERBURN (St. Hilda), a parish, in Pickering lythe and union, N. riding of York, 3¼ miles (E. by N.) from Pickering; containing, with the township of Farmanby and chapelry of Wilton, 686 inhabitants. The soil is a red earth of various qualities, and the surface hills and valley, some of the former being of considerable size, and in a measure planted; the scenery is romantic and beautiful, up the dale. A corn-mill is propelled by a mountain stream. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 4. 9½.; net income, £146; patron, the Dean of York; impropriators, T. Mitchelson, Esq., and others. The church is an ancient edifice, the interior of which underwent a thorough renovation in 1800. At Wilton is a chapel of ease; and at Farmanby a place of worship for Wesleyans.