Ella, Kirk (St. Andrew)
ELLA, KIRK (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Sculcoates, and county of the town of Hull, locally in the E. riding of York; containing, with the whole of the township of Anlaby, which is partly in the parish of Hessle, and the whole of the township of Willerby, which is partly in the parish of Cottingham, 1061 inhabitants, of whom 291 are in the township of Kirk-Ella, 5 miles (W. by N.) from Hull, and 133 in the township of West Ella. This place derives its name from its ancient proprietor, the Saxon King of Deira, of whose demesne it formed a part. The parish comprises by computation 2974a. 26p.; the soil is a strong clayey marl, well adapted for wheat, of which fine crops are produced, and the surface, though generally flat, is well drained. The village is situated on elevated ground, commanding views of the river Humber, and consists of well-built houses and pleasing villas, inhabited by opulent merchants of Hull, and other respectable families. The surrounding country is richly diversified; and the beauty of the scenery, and the salubrity of the air, render Ella desirable as a place of residence. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 2. 8½.; net income, £235; patron and impropriator, R. Sykes, Esq.: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1796. The church, seated on an eminence, is a spacious structure in the later English style, with a lofty embattled tower, and contains several monuments, of which one to Joseph Sykes, who died in 1805, is very beautiful.