Eling (St. Mary)
ELING (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of NewForest, hundred of Redbridge, Romsey and S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 5 miles (W. by N.) from Southampton; containing, with the tythings of Bartley-Regis, Bauldoxfee, Bistern with Bartley, Colebury, Durley, Langley, Lopperwood, Marchwood, Rumbridge, Tatchbury, Testwood, Wade with Over, and Wigley, 5410 inhabitants, of whom 1052 are in North, and 343 in South, Eling. This place, which is noticed in the Norman survey as having a church, two mills, a fishery, and a saltern, comprises the manor of Bury Farm, held of the crown by the tenure of presenting to the king a brace of white greyhounds in silver couples, whenever His Majesty may visit the New Forest; which presentation was last made in 1789, to George III., immediately on stepping out of his carriage at Lyndhurst, by the Rev. Sir Charles Mill, Bart. The village stands at the upper end of the Southampton Water, and has a good trade in corn, timber, and coal; spacious granaries and warehouses have been erected on the quay, which is accessible to vessels of 200 tons' burthen, and provided with every facility for loading and discharging cargoes. Its proximity to the New Forest, which affords a plentiful supply of timber at a moderate expense, is favourable for ship-building, which has been carried on to a considerable extent; several West Indiamen have been launched within the last few years, and numerous vessels repaired. The establishment has, however, been removed to the opposite side of the water, at Redbridge. A fair for cattle is held on July 5th. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £11. 18. 1½.; net income, £904; patron, the Rev. W. I. G. Phillips; impropriators, several proprietors of land. The church is an ancient edifice, enlarged at different periods, and exhibiting various styles. A chapel has been erected near Cadnam, containing 535 sittings, 418 of which are free; and at Marchwood is a district church. At Totton, separated from Redbridge by the river, is a place of worship for Independents. In this parish is the union workhouse; the union comprises 9 parishes, 8 in the county of Southampton, and one in Wilts, the population of the whole amounting to 13,224.