Elberton (St. Mary)
ELBERTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Thornbury, Lower division of the hundred of Berkeley, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 9 miles (N.) from Bristol; containing 190 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1523 acres, of which 416 are arable, 995 pasture, and 112 woodland: the surface is in some parts flat, in others hilly; the soil is partly sandy, and partly a deep rich loam. The Thames and Severn canal passes through the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 12. 6.; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The bishop's tithes have been commuted for £79. 10., the impropriate for £8, and the vicarial for £202; there are 40 acres of glebe. The church has a central tower with a spire, and was probably erected in the thirteenth century. East of the village are some remains of a Roman intrenched camp, supposed to have been constructed for the protection of the trajectus, or ferry, at Aust; it was a regular parallelogram, inclosing two acres.