Egton, with Newland
EGTON, with Newland, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of Lancashire, 20 miles (W.) from Milnthorpe; containing 1024 inhabitants, of whom 547 are in Egton. The manor of Egton and Newland belonged at the time of the Dissolution to the abbey of Furness; and Upper and Lower Sathwaite, in Newland, are named among the first estates conferred upon that foundation. The chapelry comprises 3143a. 3r. 6p. It has a cotton-mill and an iron-forge; and at Greenodd, where the river Crake flows into Morecambe bay, a considerable quantity of iron in bars, copper-ore, slate, hoops, tanned-leather, gunpowder, pyroligneous-acid, and other articles of merchandise, are shipped for Liverpool, Glasgow, and Whitehaven. The neat village of Penny-Bridge, so called perhaps from the British word Pen, "the head," was the seat of the family of Penny. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £92; patron, J. Penny Machell, Esq. The chapel, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, was built and endowed by William Penny, Esq., was consecrated in 1791, and in 1831 enlarged. Henry Lindow, in 1735, made a bequest of £138, now vested in a savings' bank, and producing £4 per annum, for the support of a school.