EGGLESTON-ABBEY, a township, in the parish of Rokeby, union of Teesdale, W. division of the wapentake of Gilling, N. riding of York, 1½ mile (S. E. by S.) from Barnard-Castle; containing 77 inhabitants. An abbey for Præmonstratensian canons, dedicated to St. Mary and St. John the Baptist, was founded about 1189, by Ralph de Multon; it was refounded in 1537, and at the Dissolution its revenue was estimated at £36. 8. 3. On elevated ground near the road side are considerable remains of the buildings; the abbey church, a cruciform structure with a noble window, being almost entire: from the bank on the opposite side of the river Tees, the view is very imposing.