EDSTON, GREAT, a parish, in the union of Helmsley, wapentake of Ryedale, N. riding of York, 2 miles (S. S. E.) from Kirkby-Moorside; containing, with the township of North Holme, 153 inhabitants, of whom 134 are in the township of Edston. The parish is situated on the river Dove, and comprises by computation 1100 acres, of which 746 are arable, and 204 meadow and pasture; the scenery is beautifully varied, and abounds with interesting features, embracing a fine view of Duncombe Park, and the borders of CastleHoward. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7.10.; net income, £188; patrons and impropriators, the family of Dowker. The church is a very small and ancient structure. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.