Edmondthorpe (St. Michael)
EDMONDTHORPE (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Melton-Mowbray, hundred of Framland, N. division of the county of Leicester, 6 miles (N.) from Oakham; containing 261 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1696 acres, and the Oakham canal passes within a mile and a half. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 12. 8½., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £434. The church, the tower of which is in the early English style, appears to have been enlarged or partly rebuilt at a later period. About £15 per annum, arising from a bequest by Sir Edward Smith in 1720, are distributed among the poor in clothing and money. There are the remains of a Roman camp.