Edlington (St. Peter)
EDLINGTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Doncaster, S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 5¼ miles (S. W. by S.) from Doncaster; containing 127 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1727a. 2r. 30p., of which 1195 acres are arable and pasture, 453 wood, and the remainder roads and waste. Of the woodland 372 acres belong to Earl Fitzwilliam, who has divided it into several portions by roads, all meeting in the centre, where is the woodman's house: within this wood are, a conical pile of rough stones called Blow Hall, and the remains of an intrenchment named Double Dykes. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £9, and in the gift of the family of Wrightson: the tithes have been commuted for £258, and the glebe comprises 51 acres. The church is an ancient structure in the early English style, with a tower, and contains some monuments to Lord Wharton's family; the nave is separated from the chancel by a fine Norman arch.