Edlaston (St. James)
EDLASTON (St. James), a parish, in the hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 2½ miles (S.) from Ashbourn, on the left of the road to Sudbury; containing, with the township of Wyaston, 214 inhabitants. The manor was given to the convent of Tutbury by Robert, Earl Ferrers, son of the founder. At the Reformation it was granted by Henry VIII. to William, Lord Paget, who soon after conveyed it to Sir Edward Aston, Knt.; and the property has since belonged to the Eyres, of Hassop, and other families. The parish comprises upwards of 2330 acres, arable, meadow, pasture, and woodland; the surface is undulated, the soil a rich earth, gravel, sand, and peat, and the scenery improved by plantations, which are extensive. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £3. 18. 4.; net income, £220; patron, the Bishop of Lichfield; incumbent, the Rev. Henry Gordon: a certain portion of land, &c., called Callowcroft, is tithe-free. The glebe, in Edlaston township, consists of 33 acres, with a good glebe-house. The church is a small ancient structure, comprising a nave, chancel, and tower, and has lately been repaired: in the churchyard is a very aged yew-tree. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A common of twenty acres was inclosed in 1824.