Edingley (St. Giles)
EDINGLEY (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Southwell, Hatfield division of the wapentake of Thurgarton, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from Southwell; containing 429 inhabitants. It lies on the road from Southwell to Mansfield, and comprises about 2000 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £4; net income, £60; patrons, the Chapter of the Collegiate Church of Southwell; impropriator, C. Machin, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land in 1777. The church is a small ancient edifice, with a brick tower; the body is of stone: the chancel was rebuilt in 1844, and the interior of the church beautified. A school is endowed with a few acres of land, partly the gift of Samuel Wright in 1731, and partly allotted by commissioners for inclosing common lands.