EDGWORTH, a township, in the chapelry of Turton, parish and union of Bolton, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 5¼ miles (N. N. E.) from Bolton; containing 1697 inhabitants. This place lies on the north-eastern extremity of the hundred of Salford, near the junction of the mountainous region of the Forest of Rossendale and the manor of Tottington; and, with Entwistle, was anciently common land belonging to the Blackburn and the Entwistle families. It comprises 2960 acres of pasture and moor; and has a thin mountain-vein of coal, and some extensive stonequarries, producing large and excellent flagstones. The road from Bury to Blackburn passes through the village. The Independents and Wesleyans have places of worship; and there are two schools, one, erected in 1804, by subscription, and endowed with £7. 10. per annum, and the other in union with the National Society.