Edgmond (St. Peter)
EDGMOND (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Newport, Newport division of the hundred of South Bradford, N. division of Salop, 1¾ mile (W.) from Newport; comprising the townships of Adney, Caynton, Cherrington, Chetwynd-Aston, Edgmond, and part of Pickstock, with the chapelries of Church-Aston and Tibberton; and containing 2471 inhabitants, of whom 792 are in the township of Edgmond. The parish comprises by measurement 7650 acres, of which 4979 are in the township, including 80 acres of waste land or common: limestone is quarried extensively and burnt into lime, and there are some quarries of good red sandstone. Markets for agricultural produce, and for cattle and pigs, are held every fortnight at Newport, which is amply supplied from this place. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £46. 8. 1½.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. John Dryden Pigott, whose tithes have been commuted for £2400, and whose glebe comprises 140 acres, with a house. The church is an ancient structure. There are chapels of ease at Aston and Tibberton; also two places of worship for dissenters in the parish. The Rev. Dryden Pigott, in 1734, gave £200 for the education of children; and another school is supported by the rector.