Eddlesborough (St. Mary)
EDDLESBOROUGH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Leighton-Buzzard, hundred of Cottesloe, county of Buckingham, 3 miles (N. E.) from Ivinghoe; containing, with the chapelry of Dagnall, and the hamlets of Hudnall, Northall, and part of Horton, 1722 inhabitants, of whom 683 are in the township of Eddlesborough. The parish comprises 4592 acres, including 544 of waste land or common. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 17., and in the gift of the Trustees of the Earl of Bridgewater: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £1134, and the vicarial for £480; the glebe comprises 7 acres. The church is a handsome edifice, situated on an isolated hill, and having much the appearance of an ancient fortress.