Ecton (St. Mary Magdalene)
ECTON (St. Mary Magdalene), a parish, in the union of Wellingborough, hundred of Hamfordshoe, N. division of the county of Northampton, 5 miles (N. E. by E.) from Northampton; containing 602 inhabitants. It comprises 2229a. 1r. 33p., of which the portion of arable is rather greater than that of pasture land. The road from Northampton to Wellingborough intersects the parish, and on the south it is bounded by the river Nene. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21. 8. 1½.; net income, £570; patron and incumbent, the Rev. J. C. Whalley: the tithes were commuted for land in 1759. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. There is a small endowment for a school; and a fund of £21 is applied to the apprenticing of children.