Eckington (Holy Trinity)
ECKINGTON (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union, and Upper division of the hundred, of Pershore, Pershore and E. divisions of the county of Worcester, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Pershore; containing 785 inhabitants. This parish, which is intersected by the road from Pershore to Tewkesbury, comprises by measurement 2095 acres of very fertile and well-wooded land, half encircled by the river Avon; about one-third is pasture, and the produce of the remainder wheat, barley, beans, &c. The Birmingham and Gloucester railway, which is carried over the Avon by a cast-iron bridge of three segmental arches, each of 73 feet span, constructed at an expense of £10,000, passes through the parish, and has a station in the centre of the village. Woolers Hall, erected in 1611, on the remains of a religious house belonging to the abbey of Pershore, is a handsome structure, commanding a view of great richness and variety. Limestone is quarried, chiefly for building. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 1. 8.; net income, £140; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The tithes were commuted for land in 1810. The church is an ancient structure in the early English style, with a tower, and a highly-enriched Norman doorway. There is a place of worship for Baptists. A school was built near the church in the year 1838.