Eccles (St. Mary)
ECCLES (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Guiltcross, hundred of Shropham, W. division of Norfolk, 2 miles (E.) from Larlingford; containing 124 inhabitants. This place, which is situated on the north side of the river Thet, was the residence of the bishops of the diocese, till, after the time of Henry VIII., the palace was abandoned. The parish comprises by admeasurement 1690 acres, of which 950 are arable, 650 low meadow, pasture, and heath, and 80 acres young plantations; the common was inclosed in 1812, but there are still sheep-walks. Here is a station of the Norfolk railway. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14, and in the gift of Sir Thomas B. Beevor, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £255, and the glebe comprises 27 acres; the rector is also entitled to the tithes of Bishop's Hall, New Buckenham. The church is an ancient structure in the decorated style, with a small round tower. There are several tumuli, one of much greater size than the others.