Ebrington (St. Edburgh)
EBRINGTON (St. Edburgh), a parish, in the union of Shipston-upon-Stour, Upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 1¾ mile (E. by N.) from Chipping-Campden; containing, with the hamlet of Hidcote-Boyce, 583 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the Cotswold hills, and comprises 2861a. 27p.: stone is quarried, chiefly for the repair of roads, and for cottage-buildings. The living is a discharged vicarage, consolidated with that of Mickleton, and valued in the king's books at £9. 9. 4.: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1813; the glebe comprises 50 acres. The church is a large and handsome structure, the east window of which is ornamented with stained glass, representing portions of the history of the patriarch Joseph; in the chancel is a monument, erected in 1677, to Sir John Fortescue, lord chancellor in the reign of Henry VI. Ebrington gives the title of Viscount to Earl Fortescue.