Ebbesborne-Wake (St. John the Baptist)
EBBESBORNE-WAKE (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Wilton, hundred of Chalk, Hindon and S. divisions of Wilts, 12 miles (S. W. by W.) from Salisbury; containing 306 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 2680 acres, of which 1245 are arable, 1120 down, 176 meadow and pasture, and 140 wood and coppice; the surface is in some parts hilly and in others flat, and the soil generally clay alternated with chalk, producing good crops. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued in the king's books at £19. 14. 2.; net income, £80; patron, the Subchanter in the Cathedral of Salisbury. The tithes have been commuted for £164 payable to the lay impropriator, and £291 payable to the appropriator, who has a glebe of 46 acres. The church is an ancient structure. There is a place of worship for Independents.