Eaton, Church (St. Edith)
EATON, CHURCH (St. Edith), a parish, in the union of Penkridge, hundred of Cuttlestone, S. division of the county of Stafford, 7 miles (S. W. by W.) from Stafford; containing 743 inhabitants. It comprises about 4000 acres, principally arable land; the soil is generally fertile, being a strong loam both in the meadows and uplands. The Liverpool and Birmingham canal passes through. The village, which is long, consists chiefly of one street of detached and well-built houses. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 19. 9½., and in the patronage of the Earl Talbot: the tithes have been commuted for £750, and there are 90 acres of glebe. The church is an ancient structure, with a low tower supporting a spire of modern erection; the south side of the edifice, also, appears to have been rebuilt in later times, from the square form of its windows. A grammar school of unknown origin has from an early period possessed several houses and other buildings, with about 92 acres of land in Church and Wood Eaton, now producing £170 per annum; it is free to all the boys of the parish. The Gnosall and Church-Eaton charity estate consists of about 33 acres of land, let for £42. 11. 10. per annum, which is divided among the poor of those places. Mr. Henry Crocket, in 1780, gave £200, since invested in land producing about £20 per annum, also distributed in small sums to the necessitous.