Eaton, Bray (St. Mary)
EATON, BRAY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Luton, hundred of Manshead, county of Bedford, 3½ miles (W. by S.) from Dunstable; containing 1097 inhabitants. The manor was given by King John to Ardulphus de Braci, and not long afterwards belonged to the Cantilupes, who built a castle in 1221, which the Chronicle of Dunstable represents as very injurious to that town. In 1273 it passed by a female heir to the family of Zouche; and it is supposed to have been forfeited by attainder, and to have been granted to Sir Reginald Bray. The parish lies on the south-west border of the county. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12. 16. 3.; net income, £189; patrons, the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.