Eaton, or Idletown (All Saints)
EATON, or Idletown (All Saints), a parish, in the union of East Retford, South-Clay division of the wapentake of Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 2¼ miles (S.) from East Retford; containing 189 inhabitants. This place was of some importance prior to the Norman Conquest. The parish immediately adjoins the great north road, and comprises by admeasurement 1485 acres, whereof about 100 acres are woodland, chiefly of oak, and the remainder arable and pasture in nearly equal portions; the soil is generally a strong clay, and the surface undulated. The village is divided by the river Idle into two parts, connected by a bridge. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4. 13. 4., and in the gift of the Archbishop of York, with a net income of £80: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1809. The church is a small, plain, ancient edifice, with a campanile turret.