Eastwood (St. Mary)
EASTWOOD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Basford, S. division of the wapentake of Broxtow, N. division of the county of Nottingham, 9 miles (N. W. by W.) from Nottingham; containing 1621 inhabitants. It is on the road from Mansfield to Derby, and comprises 900a. 2r. 4p. The population is partly employed in the weaving of stockings, and in some mines of coal, for which facilities of conveyance are afforded by the Nottingham, Erewash, and Cromford canals, which pass through the parish. The village is pleasantly situated on an eminence, and about half a mile to the west of it is Langley Bridge over the river Erewash, erected in 1830, and which gives name to a large village partly in the county of Derby. A cattle-fair is held annually. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 13. 1½.; net income, £360; patron, J. P. Plumptre, Esq.; incumbent, the Rev. H. Western Plumptre: the tithes were commuted for 166 acres of land in 1791. The church, rebuilt in 1760, is a neat edifice. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.