Eastrington (St. Michael)
EASTRINGTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Howden, in Howdenshire, E. riding of York, containing, with the townships of Bellasize, Gilberdike, Newport-Wallingfen, and Portingten with Cairl, 2076 inhabitants, of whom 405 are in the township of Eastrington, 3½ miles (E. N. E.) from Howden. The parish comprises by computation 8000 acres, of which about 7200 are arable, and the remainder meadow and pasture; the soil is for the most part a strong clay, the surface flat: corn is grown in great abundance, and numerous orchards produce, among other fruits, vast quantities of apples. At Newport is a large manufactory for bricks, draining-tiles, and chimney-pots. The Hull and Selby railway passes near the village, where is a station. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12. 9. 7., and in the patronage of the Crown, with a net income of £202, and a vicaragehouse; impropriators, several landowners: the tithes were mostly commuted for land and money payments, under an inclosure act, in 1813. The church is an ancient edifice with a tower, and contains a monument of a Knight Templar. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. In 1726, Joseph Hewley gave land now producing £28 a year, for the support of a school; and the poor have about £13 per annum arising from various bequests.